Friday, January 28, 2005

wow it's friday!

"Photo courtesy 2safeschools"

You got less than
3 minutes!

This photo was taken of a school bus about 2 1/2 minutes into a fire, started for training purposes. - Photo by Michael Birrell, Chief, City of Dearborn Fire Department.

Did you know that a school bus can go up in flames in 3 minutes?  That's the statement the safety director at my work told the Dean at the high school after he only 'talked' to the two boys that were smoking on my bus.  He didn't even call their parents!!  He's answer? " I did not know that."  Hmmm my opinion is that what those boys did was not a discipline issue but a safety issue! 

So today on another bus...which is brand spanking new... a junior high girl decides to burn her seat.  Left a 2 inch hole and a burn mark up the back of the seat.  Very scary stuff.

Education is the key...and in the spring when I do bus evacuations I am going to bring up fire. 

Education is the key...it's the key to keeping our kids safe. 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about those boys. It's more of a safety issue. Pretty scary stuff here. 3 minutes goes fast. *Barb* http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

WHY WAIT TILL SPRING? The kids need to know this now. OMG i have to show my son this. He is a new bus driver since they built the new school. I used to drive him all the time. that is one scary picture. Make sure to print it out and pass it around. OMG!!!!!!!!! Thank you Rose for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

wow, I didnt' know that...what a frightening photo too!  I hope AOL features this journal, this is a really wonderful journal you have, I love stopping by here...

Nettie
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Good job in being so outspoken with operating a safe bus!  I don't think that many people think bus drivers are responsible for the actions of those youngsters until SOMETHING happens.  ~Nikki