Monday, January 24, 2005

Monday

It was a Monday in the truest sense today!  One of the drivers who drives a RE (rear engine) bus was going to take off from his Junior High drop at the the school this morning, and his bus wouldn't go...he lost air pressure in his breaks!  RE's have air doors and air pressure for their emergency breaks...(gone are the stick shifts and regular air brakes like semi's have).  And he was near the end of the line to drop off too.  Which made everybody hang out into the street.  We got around him, but one girl had to back up which is a no, no, but she had to.  I made my drop and was late getting my high school kids.  But we still made it to school on time.  There's one thing I do not do is stress about time...hurrying has caused way too many little accidents.  NO thanks.  And today everybody else on the road had somewhere to go so they wouldn't let me in, in traffic or they all were speeding. 

Two of the high school girls were talking about my stepson, who had told them that he moved back to his mom's.  They were funny, they think is good looking, sweet and nice.  The poor naive' things don't realize how much of a head case my stepson is.

I enjoy the high school kids, because basically unless they talk to me I just try to stay out of their lives.  I mean how many teenage girls want unsolicated comments from an adult??  But they do talk to me and tell the other kids I am nice.  I like being nice but not too nice.  Bus drivers should never make the mistake of being too friendly with kids, then you lose their respect when you have to be a hard guy if something happens, then they turn on you like a pack of wolves.  I liken it to parents trying to be kids friends.  It just doesn't work.

My biggest pet peeve is kids writing on the seats...so far so good this year (now watch I'll jinx myself).  But my bus was used last year for a really rowdy group that destroyed the seats and there are patches everywhere. 

I did fine with my shuttle a midday.  First I go to a Junior high and get a kid who is very smart and is taking Math at the Oswego East, then I go to Oswego High (takes about 7 minutes) and get the mechanic students and take them back to Oswego East, then everyother day (Orange and Blue days, because our schools have block scheduling) I take the show choir girls to Oswego High...then I go to base sit and recover and start my afternoon.  I knew I would sooner or later be called to do something else during my midday, which is a 2 hour shift and I spent a lot of it parked and waiting.  (napping?!).

Well that's enough out of me...take care

No comments: