Friday, January 21, 2005

snow!!

We are supposed to get something between 4 and 10 inches of snow, more with the Lake effect (which means not us but Chicago).  Why don't the weather guys just say 1 to 10 inches and then no matter how much snow we get they'll save face and be right.

I had a trip for tomorrow, my daughter's speech team, but the school that it is supposed to be held at is a "Yuppie" school and they pre-cancelled everything.  That's a-ok by me, this was a long week of driving and I need the day off. 

Next week they want me to do more shuttling.  With the new school they don't offer classes at both schools so the kids get shuttled back and forth.  So instead of sleeping behind the school waiting for the kids to come out for the shuttle I actually have to work, which is a-ok by me.  I believe it's the American way to work. 

The beauty of my job is we are Union and have a contract until 2007.  We are guarenteed 6 hours a day and 2 hours if we have midday route...which is very sweet.  I like to keep busy...so the more runs I do the better.

Many schools are going to sub contracting to save money.  Subcontractors usually are part-time help with lower wages.  Our motto has always been you get what you pay for.  Our district is growing and the consistancy of knowing who your kids go back and forth to school with is reassuring to many people. 

I know it was for me when my kids road the bus...and my daughter still takes trips so I am happy to know these good people.  I know she is safe...it's important. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

4-10 inches of snow. Hmm, lots of shoveling ahead. Hope you aren't the one who has to do it. By the way.>Finished the book and loved it. It was as good as listening to Joel He writes like he talks." Hugs. Barb*

Anonymous said...

hopefully they will just cancell everything if too much snow comes down...sounds great about your contract...at least a couple years of not having to worry! drive safely!

linda
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LinnysLuciousLickings