Wednesday, October 26, 2005

work, work and more work

I didn't bid on any extra trips this week and got 3 anyway.  Today is my day off from my midday.  They are early childhood children, 3 to 5 year olds who are just so adorable.  In a couple of weeks we will be getting the morning and the afternoon early childhood and early bird programs back from the contract company that has been doing them.  We had some temporary routes in the beginning of the year and they stop in a week.  I may bid on these routes depending on how early they start.  I am pretty spoiled in the morning, only actually working an hour and a half.  Plus I take Liz to school and we have time to do some mother/daughter bonding.  It will all depend on my mood on that day.  My afternoon junior high route is still rowdy, loud, and I have to constantly tell them to sit down.  The girl who got suspended from my bus  last week road yesterday and she was as naughty as ever.  Although some of the other kids called her on it, and she told me she wants to sit in front to stay out of trouble.  Hmmm we shall see.  I've found with Junior high kids they live in some alternate reality...their own little world...not a bad world, just their own world that we as adults have left behind and can't remember.  We think we were never that age, but we were and I try to be understand, but keep them safe.

My work hired 8 new people this week, I think it is a good sign, a sort of job security.  And that means I am moving up in seniority, as a few are leaving on sick leave or just going elsewhere.  I look at my job as a forever thing, driving until they take the keys away from me, and force me to monitor.

I am doing bus evac this afternoon so I will not have my 5 hour break, but I will get paid for 3 extra hours.  I also got a trip from one high school to the other for the girls volleyball team for this evening.  And then again Friday morning I am doing evacs again. 

And with the holidays coming up extra $$ is always welcome.

 

Well, have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could never do your job. I just don't have paients with large groups of kids. I'm more the two or three at a time.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

You do a great job, Rose. * HOlidays? They really are just around the corner, aren't they - coming up FAST!
hugs, hon
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose -

I think your Jr. Hi. girl has a point to prove with her peers...I'm back and don't mess with me.  But since she wants to sit up front near the "angel seat", that's a good sign this girl wants to stay in line.  Good luck with the rowdies, I know it's a constant battle to keep them safe AND watch the loonies on the roads during rush hour.  Some people have no respect for us out there.  

You hired 8 new drivers this week!  You sure are climbing up the seniority pole quickly...I am SO happy for you.  

As far as me...I still haven't been called yet for the Interview for the Full Time Driver job.  Don't know why they're taking their sweet time at this, the waiting is driving me crazy.

I feel like you do about this job.  Actually, it's not a job...it's a privlidge to be entrusted with the lives and safety of someone else's kids.  I will be driving a school bus until they take the keys away from me too.  I love what I do, everyday...whether the kids or roads are good or bad.  

Congrats on your "extras",
Kathy G.
Full Time Wanna Be Driver