Tuesday, October 4, 2005

my coworks-my family

Ah the joy of riding a hot, sticky sometimes stinky school bus.  All week the temperatures have been in the 80's.  My door got fixed on good old 30, it's great looking, but hard to close because of the new seal.  Not a problem, I'll be thanking that seal in a few short weeks when winter makes it's appearance.

We have been hiring like mad at my district.  Drivers, monitors, everyday somebody new appears.  We are becoming like a family though.  One girl ask another why she suddenly lost a bunch of weight and began wearing make up, I was like " oh you got a new boyfriend!" I was kidding ( she's married), nope she flashes her naked left ring finger at me.  I felt like a heel, but she did open up about her situation and another girl who is going through a similiar problem gave her some advice...just like family.

I know for me I'd have to be in therapy if I didn't have this wacky group of misfits to see and talk to everyday.  They come in all ages, sizes, color, and backgrounds, but they're MY group of misfits and I've become very attached to them.  Just like family.

Today, I did a "a-oh".  The village is putting in storm sewers and curbing on the streets surrounding both my Junior high and grade school.  One road has been basically clear for about 2 weeks so I 've been using it.  Well, today I head down the road and it's blocked by a big piece of equipment (luckily it was manned) and a big pile of dirt.  So I jump on my radio and let everybody else know about it so they don't make the same boo boo, especially since by now 3 other buses are following my down the path of blocked roadway.  The guys were cool and let us through, but when I went back to base a couple of guys go " hey I knew about that after my junior high route,"  EEEEEEEEK!  thanks for sharing the info with us...seems some folks only use the two for idle evil chatter rather than for helpful good.  Oh well, I made it ... so that's what counts.

Have a safe one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose -

Glad you have your own bus back, all fixed and working better than ever.  We get comfy with our own bus, kind of like family, it's an odd feeling when we don't have it.  

I had a situation like yours last year, only nobody opened up the road for me.  I went around a blind corner, fully loaded with Middle Schoolers, and BAM.....sewer reconstruction...NO way around it.  I had to radio base for help.  They sent me a Custodian who "assisted" my backing up around corners to get myself free.  Unnecessary delay and frustration.  A ROAD CLOSED sign would have been nice.  

Have a nice day, hon....
Your soon to be full-time (?) bus driver friend,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

You really WILL appreaciate that seal when winter hits. I remember how cold it is back there. I miss working - a LOT, but with Johnny's health the way it is I don't dare try anything. Perhaps when he is better. Even part time would be nice. I loved interacting with "family" too. And co-workers so become that, don't they?
I laughed out loud when I saw your EEEEK! Guess Carolann rubbed off on some of the ladies in the group. lol   Take care hon. Stay safe.
love you much
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Hey, wheres my pic of Mrs. Beautiful standing by the bus?!!
Love, lj