Saturday, April 29, 2006

evacuations

I have been super busy at work with bus evacs.   We have over 20 schools to do which adds up to a lot of kids.  I enjoy it though.  The kids really pay attention, which is great because they really need to be safe and prepared.  The rear door of the bus is really high off the ground so I have to lift the little ones down.  The bigger ones usually can get down by themselves unless they are showing off and try to hop down, then I make them go back inside the bus & redo it.  Basically I tell the high school kids to not dive out or they will smack their heads.  First I have to explain to them that a bus has no Park only a parking brake, and that the new buses have electric doors.  If the driver passes out they need to know how to stop the bus.  AND I tell them to not be dumb and try and smoke on the bus.  These are things they don't think of when they are riding to school.

 

I can tell it's near the end of the year.  The kids are going nuts.  AND some of my co-workers think they are the law and must police the rest of us. 

 

Oh well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,

Bus evacs must get redundant with 20 schools to cover....twice a year!   Did you lose your voice doing it?  Sounds like you covered a lot of ground with these kids.  I'm glad they take it seriously and paid attention to you.  I read a lot of stories on-line about how these kids come to our and each others aide when there's an emergency on the bus.  I guess they really are listening to us after all!  

Keep up the good work!  

School is almost out....and you're not working during the summer for the first time in FOREVER!   Life is good!!!!

Kathy


Anonymous said...

Your the kind of bus driver , I wish my kids had. Good Job. Have a great week.
Hugs, R.C.