Tuesday, August 23, 2005

still bus #30

Hey all I am still bus number 30.  Yesterday was bidding day.  The bidding of routes was supposed to start at 9:30, but because of some late postings of routes which is against our contract we had to wait for our Union rep to come in.  Actually I was at work until about 2:30 in the afternoon.  I stayed with my neice who got a job as a monitor...moral support.   I got a very nice route package though.  Our district has changed all the start times of the schools.  And it worked out that I got two of my favorite schools again, a junior high, and a grade school, BUT NO HIGH SCHOOL!!  Don't get me wrong I love the high school kids, but the way this route works out I don't have to be at work until 7:00 so on the way to work I can drop Liz off at school and still make in time to pretrip my bus.  In the warm weather I don't mind my kid walking the mile or so to school, but Northern Illinois winters can be long and cold.  I will be done in the am at about 8:45 with no break in between routes which to me is awesome, because I won't have to waste time sitting around at Base.  Then I go back in the afternoon at 2:45 instead of 1:45 like last year.  I'll be done at 4:00, all this no matter how much the actually hours are adds up to 6 hours because we are guarenteed 6 hours.  I will be doing a midday kindergarten route though, which I will bid on tomorrow.  I am hoping to get another really close school to my house so I can go home during the lapse in time.  I am sure it will work out that way, because we have all 11 grade schools to bus.  That adds up to A LOT of routes.

Our district got so big so quickly that we had to sub contract out 4 schools, but we get to keep the kindergarten middays...so I'll still get 8 hours a day pay.

Gotta love that!

Good old 30 has some new seats and is all waxed and shiny inside.  I drove my routes today and they seem to be ok, with the exception of one of the stops there are no sidewalks, which the computer did not know this when the route was set up.  This poses a danger to the kids while they are waiting to get picked up.

Those darn computers, can't think for themselves!!

More on the midway tomorrow.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your routes worked out...thats awesome

Anonymous said...

Rose -

Wow!  Awesome routes for you...I am jealous you have so much work each day.  More work means more pay...am I right?   Take it while it's there, babe!  

We bid for our routes in 2 days, on Thursday.  Being new kid on the block, who knows what I'll get.  Would LOVE it to have a 40 footer...but I doubt it just yet.  Working with the HS I am sure I will get my opportunities with all of the extra-curricular stuff and sporting events...I'll try to be patient.

Good luck on getting a K-run.

Kathy G.

Anonymous said...

Everything is working out just right, isn't it? God is so good to us. 8 hours a day pay is such a help these days. Hope you get the route you want. Hugs hon.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got the route that you love.  That's great.  The hours sound really good for you.  KJ