Friday, February 10, 2006

When you spend your days with kids you begin to see things from their viewpoint.  All they really want is somebody to pay attention to them.  They love their friends, their hobbies, their sports, but they really love their parents. These are the adults that not only put a roof over their heads, but make them feel safe or not so safe when things are rocky on the homefront.  Whether it be job problems, relationship problems or just plan sickness, they know it and it effects them.  I hear about it everyday...I am like their mini therapist.  But for me my job is just let them know it'll be ok.  I don't judge, I don't give advice but I listen.  That's my job. 

I listened today to an old boy who is now forced to be a monitor, his driving days are over.  Old Ed is retiring today.  He sat eating his cake.   He had that look, that look in his eye of a bit of sadness of days gone by.  He gave me a gift today.  He made me realize that I need to appreciate my days with these little ones.  They'll be over before I know it.  I need to be thankful for the problems, the chatter of little kids and the smiles they bring me.  Before too long it will be over.  And as I've said before they'll be prying that bus key out of my grip, forcing me to retire too soon. 

I am thankful today...going back to work with a smile and a better attitude.

Be safe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great entry...do you realize how wise you are?!
Love,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we need that little wake up call to remind us that we don't have it so bad. Have a great weekend.
Hugs, R.c.