Thursday, December 23, 2004

 

I had a trip this morning...it's what's called a drop and return.  In our school district we transport the park district's day care program kids for their activities.  Today is their offical Christmas party.  They are all meeting at one of the local schools.  I got in this morning and the other driver that had a trip too said his bus started after 3 tries.  It's 0 here and although we plug in our buses, it doesn't always mean they will start.  Mine started right up...even though it's not my own bus..mine is very old, built in 1994, the buses they use for trips are the newer ones.  62 fired right up and has great heat...which is better for the passengers...the driver is always warm...but the heat isn't always so great in the back of the bus.  B is the normal driver of 62 and needless to say he didn't do all his post trip duties...sure his bus was fueled, plugged in, trash dumped, but it was a mess!  Sucker sticks, wrapping paper, chocolate snowmen all over the floor.  So I got to clean it up...and I have to write him up...I hate doing that, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

I got the kids to their destination all safe and sound...it was only 30 minutes from pick up to drop off, but we are allowed pretrip pay... and I did have to sweep up so I got about 1 and 1/4 hours in...BUT when I got back, parked the bus there was anti freeze pouring out of the bus...I am lucky because being a mechinacs daughter I look for drips and and puddles like I am supposed to...but this was a fountain.  Hopefully it will be fixed when I get back to get the kids at 2:30, if not my boss told me to take his bus...nice...then I have to do another pretrip...oh well.  I always say I am not in a hurry I get paid whether I work or not...one of the great benefits of being a union paid employee.

AND I LOVE MY JOB!  Driving is the best...especially when you look at that little face that is so excited to go celebrate this wonderful holiday season!  And happily says, "thank you bus driver"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice entry. Love hearing about your day. The children on the bus are blessed to have you for their driver. Merry Christmas, Rose. *Barb*