Saturday, December 18, 2004

day 1 --- saturday

I decided to start a new blog...one that is much more fun filled and good natured.  I need some excitement in my otherwise "normal" life so I am going to blog about my job...whoopee you say??  well with the holiday break coming up I need something to do right???

The bus in the wreath is called a R.E. stands for Rear Engine.  Rear engine buses have the engine in the rear of the bus.  The front tires on the bus are set back behind the service door.  This makes for some tricky turns especially when turning right.  R.E.'s have more seating capacity and a lot of drivers prefer driving them.  The R.E. bus was the first bus I ever drove and on day 2 of training my trainer took me out on a narrow, winding country road.  I was very nervous and as I was going around a curve I was worried about another driver coming the opposite direction...needless to say I didn't hear my trainer say,"sign, sign, sign" and then crunch.  I scratched the sign on the side of the bus.  Trainer S. laughed very hard, I didn't, but there was very little damage to her bus only a scratch.  The county police officer laughed, and pushed the sign back up....

After any accident or incident...even minor 911 is called and supervisors are dispatched.  Pictures of the damage are taken.

Needless to say after getting the "feel" of the accident on Day 2 of training made me that much more aware of my surroundings and just how careful and safe I must be, everyday, every trip.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this should be great fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose, so happy to see this new journal. It's great! *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose, love the yellow!  I have driven both kinds of buses, and in Japan (where I drove) the driver's seat is on the right side and the door on the left (looking out of the windshield).  They do make for some interesting stories.  I was always stressed out, thinking about the repsonsiblity.  Once I had to drive a bus load of soldiers to qualify on the M-16, the freeways were murdered, the cars would dodge in and out, cut me off, etc.  When I got there, they asked when was I going to shoot.  Man, I thought after that trip I deserved a vacation, I did not think I need to shoot, but I did, {sigh}!

Anyway, have fun with your new journal.  It is very bright!

Anonymous said...

I got your journal off the message board and I'm glad I did.  It's cool.  I never really liked school buses growing up so it's interesting to read about it from the driver's point of view.  KJ

Anonymous said...

Love the look here Rose, good luck with your new Journal and Happy Holidays~

~JerseyGirl