Thursday, July 7, 2005

is it thursday already?

Got on the bus on Tuesday, picked up my student, drove the 30 minutes to the Ed center and low and behold there was us and another bus and NO ONE else in site. Seems they had no school and we were the last to know!  So I drove my student home and had the rest of the day off. 

This particuliar school I go to is an Education Center for very troubled or handicapped children.  Not physically handicapped but mentally or emotionally.  There's alot of kids in harnesses, which are a contraption that hook a kid into the seat on the bus so they don't try and get up or move around the bus.  It's all about safety when it comes to bus riding.  Many of these kids look to be in their teens.  They are children that are unable to go to a regular classroom setting.

 Picture of a girl in a school bus with a safety vest.This is basically what the vest looks like, it's zipped up the back and then there are four hooks to attach the vest to the seat that is secured by a belt around the seat vertically.  I used one on the other route that I monitored for an autitic child.  My child now doesn't use one.  He's pretty good, I listen for him to hook his seat belt, but lately he's been lifting the emergency door handle to listen to the buzzer.  I've been letting him sit in the back which is only about 5 rows back because my bus is small, but he may need to come up front if he keeps goofing around.  He's not being bad just curious, so I'll see how it goes.

Everyday at this center is an adventure.  It has a very small parking lot.  We all line up on the street, wait our turn and proceed to pick up our children.  Then we go to the end of the lot and turn around.  And while we all must wait there are a few who think they can cut in or go around others. Every bus is a small bus, but there are limos, suburbans, and cabs too.  My boss told me there are a lot of accidents that happen in this small parking lot and I can see why.  I am the type who is not in hurry, why should I be, I get paid to wait.  Besides with the state of the world today...what's the hurry???

Say some prayers for the poor folks in London....this world is a scary place...and today I am counting my blessings, doing my part to be a courteous driver, and help out a fellow human being.  It's the least I can do.  Safe driving all...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose -

We all remember where we were and what we were doing when our homeland was terrorized a few short years ago.  It is a scairy thing that it can and did happen again.  We do need to remember all in our prayers and even those who were affected by 9/11 who are feeling "flash back" with today's events.

Take care everyone....and remember to hug those in your life who you love,

Kathy G.

Anonymous said...

man...yeah impatient drivers are not good, thats alot of reasons why their are so many car accidents..people rushing. Hope ur having a good day.

Anonymous said...

Rose, that vest looks like its made out of duct tape. I cant believe what happened in London. Why does everyone have so much hate in them?? Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds weird but I would love to teach these children.  Be ther for them.  I know it would be very hard but I am accually thinking about it.  Nicki